1978 Manx

Tony Pond and Fred Gallagher made no mistakes and saw off all comers on the 1978 Manx.

This report is reproduced from Motoring News 21st September 1978.

Leyland TR7 Strikes Again!

TONY POND made no mistakes to win last weekend’s Mopar (State aided!) Manx International Rally for Leyland (State aided!!). The only other driver able to stay with the TR7 V8 was Hannu Mikkola who was just seven seconds ahead when a front wheel puncture put his Ford Escort RS1800 off the road during the night section. Leyland’s win was one of teamwork and strategy, Pond only driving as fast as he needed in order to take a certain first place. Derek Boyd, driving a second works TR7 V8, lasted just three stages before retiring after stone damage to the oil pump drive. Of the Ford runners, John Taylor’s drive to second place was the most accomplished. In group one, the new ‘Open’ Series Champion of that category, Brian Culcheth, made light work of providing DOT with — incredibly — their sixth result from six starts. It is now almost certain that DOT will enter Culcheth in the Lombard RAC with a Group One Kadett GT/E, for seven out of seven would truly make rallying history.

Pond’s Island Fling
Leyland’s V8 shows great form on the Isle of Man.

THE FAVOURITES WON. It was no more than Leyland thoroughly deserved when Tony Pond and Fred Gallagher beat the Fords, Vauxhalls, Porsches and Fiat, a just result after so nearly taking the “Ulster” a fortnight previously. Apart from routine service and the replacement of struts (for perfection rather than unserviceability) the red, white and blue Triumph TR7 V8 quietly growled around the Isle of Man, always looking to be well within its limits. It was obvious from the well-disciplined order within the Leyland camp that it was an exercise in getting the car to the finish in first place with the minimum of fuss, show, or heroics.

The softly-softly approach was due in part to the early demise of the Derek Boyd/Roy Kernaghan TR7 V8 after just three special stages with no oil pressure. It is a wonder that Boyd doesn’t have nightmares involving winking oil pressure warning lamps after that second retirement, but it was for an entirely different reason on the Isle of Man — nothing more than a “freak” problem when a pebble flicked into the oil pump toothed drive belt shattering the gear wheel. A stone guard was hurriedly made-up and fitted to Pond’s car for that one-in-a-million chance that lightning would strike twice.

The ford at the bottom of Druidale was the undoing of some top runners, but not for Tony Pond and Fred Gallagher who romped home to a win. Photo Tony North.

Still, with one car out, Leyland just couldn’t afford to relax with the knowledge of Ulster so fresh in their memories. Pond’s engine had been fitted with different camshafts and specially manufactured steel rocker shaft carriers, so it was unlikely to break . . . but . . .during the second of the Manx’s three sections the responsibility suddenly weighed heavily on Pond’s shoulders. Until then the Triumph had been lying in second place a scant few seconds behind Hannu Mikkola’s Escort. It looked to be a well matched fight with neither driver “going bananas” to take a chunk of time from the other, but with the advantage slightly in the Leyland driver’s favour.

Besides the fact that Mikkola was setting the pace (deliberately, to a degree), Pond could play the unknown quantity with the promise of more speed up his sleeve, rather like racing cyclists waiting for the last-lap bell. But Mikkola veered off the road on the twelfth stage out of control with a front wheel puncture and Pond must have known from that moment on that he had got it. Pond relaxed his pace in the manner of a true professional. Slightly fewer revs between changes and, gentler handling of the TR over the rougher more nadgery stages showed that team orders to “cool it” were being obeyed to the letter — quite a temptation when you are sitting in the most tractable, best handling, vehicle on the event.

Leyland‘s magnificent performance was all the more creditable considering that neither Ford or Vauxhall really deserved to win the rally. There was a good deal of talk around the island prior to the rally that all was not well within the Ford camp, including a rumour that Russell Brookes, fresh from a twelve minute victory on the New Zealand Motogard Rally, was disillusioned to the extent that he was almost prepared to pack his bags and head for Ronaldsway Airport on the eve of the event.

Certainly, Ford seem to be stretching themselves over the limit in recent months. The pressure of keeping a high work load to ensure the typical FoMoCo steam roller effect seems to be telling and cars were not, we are told, in a uniform state of perfect readiness for the Manx. Their problems included a late fault in Mikkola’s injection engine, the Finn running on carburettors for the event. Clark was said to be less than satisfied with his car’s performance (it improved as the rally progressed).

In the Vauxhall camp, McRae lasted 22 stages before his engine gave out. He had been plagued by overheating and a chronic top end misfire. Airikkala, last year’s Manx winner. lasted only to the ford on the second stage when the Chevette spluttered to a halt and out of time, the engine drowned. After all the pace-noting and practicing it was stretching the imagination to believe that Vauxhall could be taken by surprise in such a way. McRae’s car had only just made it through the ford, staggering up the incline on little more than a couple of cylinders and when the stage was next tackled he was careful to creep through at little more than walking pace.

On the surface of things, the Fiat 131 for Italians Maurizio Verini and Arnaldo Bernachini was the disappointment of the rally. It was, quite simply, slow. It would appear that Verini’s recce was hindered by the fact that it could not be undertaken in a “T” car as the Italian’s pace notes relate to gears rather than the severity of the bend. Indeed, Verini’s times improved with subsequent runs on stages but the car never looked to be extended and was certainly not on a par with a good RS1800. Verini’s driving was tidy middle-of-the-road, the car seldom out of shape, its Pirelli slicks for the most part tracking in slot-car fashion.

So, the Mopar Manx International Rally finished in Douglas last Saturday afternoon with Leyland the winners, and heroes of the rally. It had turned out not the “classic” that had been in prospect, but nevertheless a worthwhile, enjoyable, and prestigious rally. It would have been hard to have been otherwise, for the Isle of Man is a unique rally experience with no DOT requirement to run treaded tyres on the inter-stage sections, a relaxed and friendly organisation extending to the “local” residents, who understand how much the rally means to the Manx tourist-based economy so near the end of the season, and, above all, a set of famous and challenging special stages over a variety of tarmac surfaces, each with a particular challenge. It also says much for the good nature of the Manx people that the norm is to “turn a blind eye” during the days preceding the rally when reccies become faster and closer to the real thing.

The format of this year’s Sedan Products status Manx, sponsored heavily by Chrysler‘s “Mopar” spare parts distribution division, in addition to the Isle of Man Tourist Authority, involved a slightly extended schedule over previous events with the start taking place on Friday morning for a section of nine stages lasting until the late afternoon. After a parc ferme back on Douglas Promenade, and a useful rest period for crews, an evening section commenced for a further 13 special stages, taking the rally to the early hours of Saturday. A further halt in Douglas allowed drivers sleep and breakfast before a final thrash of 16 stages through until late Saturday afternoon. Almost miraculously (for a 29 miles by 11 miles island in the middle of the Irish Sea) the weather held fine throughout, rain beginning just ten minutes after the winners were applauded outside the Villiers Hotel Rally HQ in Douglas. “Fine” weather in Manx terminology included a few spots of rain during the night section and some of the inevitable low-cloud mist. The weather patterns over the island are a microcosm of the mainland UK. From the top of the hills, with both west and east coasts visible, one can see sun on one side and swirling cloud on the other. Blink and the picture is reversed.

The cars which assembled on Friday morning gave every indication that the 1978 Manx was going to be a memorable race around the island. It was headed, of course, by the Vauxhall Chevette of Pentti Airikkala and Risto Virtanen, the crew who so tidily polished-off last year‘s event. Ford’s works team followed with Hannu Mikkpla/Arne Hertz, (carburettors) Russell Brookes/Peter Bryant and Roger Clark/Jim” Porter (fuel injection). Pond and Gallagher were at five with an all-new TR7 with the Fiat (UK) 131 following, driven on this occasion by they highly experienced Verini and Bennachini. The Fords of Kyosti Hamalainen/Phil Boland (their pace notes were reputed to sound something like “100 — wiggly, wiggly”) and John Taylor/Phil Short followed, Taylor’s Lucas fuel injected, Paul Ridgeway prepared car obviously one to watch after Ulster.

Top entries followed with the DTV Chevette of Jim McRae and Ian Muir, the TR of Derek Boyd and Roy Kernaghan (Boyd‘s TR7 also modified since Ulster, though not to the degree of Pond’s); Brian Nelson and Terry Harryman with Brian’s familiar Tuca Carpet Tiles Carrera — a formidable combination of car, driver and co-driver for this event — and the Thomas Motors RS1800 of Graham Elsmore and Stuart Harrold. At thirteen the gap of Malcolm Wilson’s non-start was filled by the Escort of Ger Buckley and John Caplice.

Brian Nelson and Terry Harryman overcame several hindrances to take a well-earned third place overall.

Following a parts supply mix-up, a car for Wilson could not be made ready in time. The young Cumbria driver “jetted” to the island as an interested spectator on Saturday in the company of Stuart Pegg, their private aircraft putting British Airways‘ decrepit Viscounts to shame. Manx resident Ian Corkill with Miss Eunice Dale started next (RS1800) followed by tarmac (principally Irish event) specialist Peter Thompson with his new group two Chrysler Sunbeam. Peter appeared to be not in the slightest put off by the fact that its 1800 engine had blown asunder after just ten minutes test running, forcing him to run an engine of dubious quality (and capacity).

Group one runners commenced at 16 with the familiar Opel Kadett GT/E of Dealer Team Opel which Sedan Products Group One Champion Brian Culcheth uses to “go touring with“ and blow the doors off the opposition by way of a strangely compulsory side-effect. Group one runners continued with the new-shelled RS2000s of Henry Inurrieta and John Lyons, the ten-tenths style of Lyons likely to provide stiff opposition for Inurrieta. Vincent and Michael Bonner (Vauxhall Magnum) followed ahead of the Triumph Dolomite Sprint of Terry Kaby and Tony McMahon, the Dolomite on paper the fastest of the bunch. Sandwiched between was the late RS180O entry of Ernest Kidney and Peter Scott, Scott originally across to read the notes for Tommy Reid who non-started.

Entries followed with the Avengers of Ivor Clark/Ken Wilson and John Joe Boyce/Seamus McGettigan, Michael and Anne O’Connell (RS1800), John Price/Mike Sones (ex-McCartney Porsche), Robert McBurney and Norman Smith taking the place of David Shacklock with their VW Golf, the promisingly quick RS18OO of Geoff Fielding and Richard Tompkinson, the VW Sirocco of David Agnew/Bryan Rowan, the Sunbeam of Willie McVicker/Eric Hughes and, making a welcome reappearance behind the wheel, Pat Ryan with Peter Gray in the Cars and Car Conversions “celebrity Escort” 1300 Sport.

Injebreck and Brandywell opened proceedings with Hannu Mikkola setting a fast pace from Tony Pond. These stages also saw the first significant retirement with Ivor Clark setting a precedent by posting the earliest retirement of the rally. Ivor found his Avenger completely brakeless when a bleed nipple pulled out and the Gretna driver was lucky to only damage a couple of wheels halting his car. Ivor sensibly called it quits there and then as this weekend‘s Bowmaker in Scotland is the one he needs to tackle to take the group one title of the British Airways/The Scotsman series. Another group one runner in trouble was Terry Kaby who found that Tony McMahon was strangely silent -— their intercom had packed-up allowing Culcheth to pull out more than half a minute. Inurrieta came to their rescue by loaning them a unit. With rain and mist at the top of Injebreck inhibiting visibility an intercom was vital.

The ford on Brandywell saw the end of Airikkala‘s effort. The car staggered a couple of hundred yards up the hill before finallv choking to death. The crew were unable to dry things out and were soon o.t.l. After the first official service halt after three stages, those drivers to have chosen A2s rectified their wrong decisions (including Vauxhall and Fiat) with racers. Brookes‘ rally was off to a dreadful start (it was to get worse). He had been suffering from the wrong tyres and an ignition fault that had caused the engine to cut on stages. McRae’s Vauxhall, after clearing its throat of water on Brandywell, was then misfiring due to over-hot running and chronic fuel vaporisation problems. It certainly wasn‘t Vauxhall‘s weekend.

John Taylor and Phil Short cross the Druidale ford in fine style, and, in a repeat of his fast Ulster Rally form, would finish runner-up to Pond.

By the end of the first section, Mikkola arrived back to Douglas 13s ahead of Pond with Brian Nelson (slowly sorting an understeer problem by juggling tyre sizes) third, 20s behind the Leyland and ahead of the Fords of Taylor, Elsinore and Clark. Taylor had been experiencing a strange engine cut in mid stage. Verini’s Fiat was down in seventh place with Hamalainen. Brookes (further delayed with a couple of slight offs due to his hesitant engine) and McRae. Group one was being led – to nobody’s surprise — by Brian Culcheth with 11th place overall, more than half a minute ahead of Lyons who was proving to be the quickest RS2000 driver despite a severe brake balance problem.

Ian Corkill had been one of the unluckiest drivers, suffering a first stage puncture and then another on the third stage — the second one a time consuming front flat. Boyd had retired with his TR‘s oil pressure gone and Peter Thompson’s Chrysler, as expected, had failed with a broken crankshaft. The 16 valve TR7 of David Grainger and Lyn Jenkins had rolled and stray cattle caused the cancellation of the fast Creg-ny-Baa stage.

Mikkola and Pond set off to resume their battle during the gathering dusk. If the first block of stages had caused problems for several top drivers, there was plenty of trouble in store on part two. The biggest shock was, of course, Mikkola‘s, when on the second evening stage, South Barrule, he felt his car begin to steer slightly strangely. When the next right hand bend loomed up, Mikkola discovered the reason — a deflated front tyre, presumably held in a partially inflated condition due to heat and its own centrifugal force. Mikkola could do nothing to prevent the car sailing off on the outside, the amount of damage firmly ruling out any further progress.

Next in deep trouble was Russell Brookes who, by now, must have been wishing he‘d never set foot on the Isle of Man. In all, Brookes was sidelined on five stages with a variety of ever-worsening connection problems between his right foot and the fuel injection butterflies. It involved Russell an undignified time under the bonnet as resident running mechanic come throttle-workcr while Peter Bryant sat in comparative comfort peering out of the side window and steering the car along the stage. To top-off Brookes’ problems he discovered — painfully — that his exhaust manifold seating position, while uncomfortably warm on the move, became downright impossible when the airflow stopped. Only the Nomex saved his hide. Ford’s chances were looking grimmer save that Clark was beginning to get sorted out and both Taylor and Elsmore were running well; Elsmore in particular looked to be on great form after a good week’s reece had put him right back in the groove.

Hamalainen retired during the night with a sick engine (it had been pumping oil for a considerable time, further adding to the misery of ‘flu and brake problems). Henry Inurreita‘s run came to an end with a slight off causing two damaged wheels and flat tyres. Although he was o.t.l. by the time they were changed, it turned out to no more than academic, for rear brake problems (the shoes adjusting too tight to the drums) saw that he could not drive away, the brakes‘ being bonded to the drums.

Pond was a comfortable leader at the end of the second series of stages, nearly two and a half minutes ahead of Taylor with Nelson and Elsmore in pursuit. The Porsche driver had suffered a peculiar engine fault during the night when the automatic cold-start cam came into operation and caused the engine to start misfiring badly due to an over rich mixture. Not suspecting such a fault Nelson thought the banging much more likely to be caused by a weakened mixture and consequently he enriched the mixture. It took several stages to clear the thoroughly wetted engine. In group one, Culcheth was ahead of Lyons and Kaby.

There were further front line mechanical retirements in store on Saturday, the cruelest of which was thought to be caused by a faulty resistor in Elsmore‘s ignition system which caused the engine to cease operating just four stages from the finish. Elsmore took three maximums and didn’t attempt the last stage, the car running well for about a mile into a stage before coasting to a halt only to restart and repeat the performance. It marked Elsmore‘s first mechanical retirement of the Sedan Products series. It was doubly unfortunate that it happened on the event where Graham was heading for his most impressive result of the season.

Dealer Opel Team’s supremacy in Group One was never seriously challenged. Brian Culcheth and Johnston Syer would finish seventh overall.

Kaby was similarly out of luck when his engine started to go off on the final afternoon. The misfiring engine (a freshly rebuilt unit) quickly deteriorated until, firing on just two cylinders, it just didn’t have enough steam left to pull the car along the road, the interior filling with smoke indicating that, at the least, it had holed a piston. Kaby had retired from second position in the category for John Lyons had earlier gone off in spectacular fashion on Round Table at a cross roads where there is only one correct (vital) line. Lyons missed the line slightly and landed well into the side of the road. the front wing just clipping a dry stone dyke with the car half spinning and coming to an abrupt halt smashing into the wall. Flying stones caused some cuts and bruises to some unfortunate spectators (all released from hospital following a check-up).

The final ignominy for Russell Brookes came when he was informed that the organisers intended to disqualify the car from the event due to discrepancies in complying with the event’s timing (contravention of Article 13-5 of the A.S.Rs at special stage 13 which is that “it is strictly forbidden, under penalty of exclusion, to enter a Control zone from any direction other than the one specified by the road book.“ A protest was successfully upheld, but the Stewards then decided to exclude the car as the crew admitted to working on the car within a Control area. One way or another, the exclusion was obviously correct, for the throttle linkage problems (there was a gearbox change, too) had taken more than 45 minutes to complete. As one wag suggested, if the organisers had backed down on this point, they could always have tried for exclusion for not wearing a crash helmet on a special stage (but if Brookes was sitting in the engine compartment was he technically “in” the car. . . ?).

The Manx finished with less than half of the original competitors running; a tribute to the severity of this fast pace note event. Pond‘s win was a fitting tribute for the work Leyland have been putting in on the V8 car and anything less than outright victory would have been unthinkable. John Taylor’s second place was yet another demonstration of the Haynes driver’s increasing expertise on tarmac while Brian Nelson and Terry Harryman did a sterling job overcoming tyre problems, a fuel fault and a puncture with the raucous Carrera —- a car which no longer holds any handling or power advantage for this type of rally. Such is the sophistication of tarmac handling with the current crop of cars that tyres are an ever more important part of the game of winning, and Leyland were well into tyre compounds for this rally, the temperatures being taken as the car came off stages and the team running a softer compound during the night and on the front until the day warmed up. Leyland were “right” in all details last weekcnd.

Mopar Manx International Rally 1978
Sedan Products Open Rally Championship – Round 6

  1. T. Pond/F. Gallagher…………..Triumph TR7 V8 12554s
  2. J. Taylor/P. Short………..…..Ford Escort RS I800 12673s
  3. B. Nelson/T. Harryman….……Porsche Carrera 12705s
  4. R. Clark/J. Porter……….……Ford Escort RS1800 12742s
  5. M. Verini/A. Bernachini…….….Fiat 131 Abarth 13047s
  6. E. Kidney/P. Scott………….…Ford Escort RS1800 13450s
  7. B. Culcheth/J. Syer…………..….Opel Kadett GT/E 13465s
  8. I. C orkill/E. Dale………………Ford Escort RS1800 13844s
  9. J. Price/M. Sones…………………..Porsche Carrera 14106s
  10. R. Farrington/B. Harrison..Ford Escort RS1800 14191s

Group One: 1. Culcheth/Seyer (7th O/A); 2. P.Clarke/G.Brew (Ford RS2000) 14640; 3. S.Everett/J. Bowie (Ford RS2000) 15155.

Class 1: P.Ryan/P.Gray (Ford Escort 1300 Sport 15207.
Class 2: K.Doyle/N. Moffitt (Chryslcr Avenger) 15166.
Class 3: B.Culcheth/J. Syer.
Class 4: A.Kermode/J. Webster (Mini 1275GT) 15951.
Class 5: D.Agnew/B.Rowan (VW Sirocco) 14554.
Class 6: T.Pond/F.Gallagher.

Clubmans Trophy Rally 1. W.Evans/D.Jones (Ford Escort RS1600) 3706; 2. K.Bragg/J.Cleator (Ford Escort RS1600): 3. C.Sisson/K.Savage (Opel Kadett) 3917.

Special stage times

SS1 Injebreck 1 – 1. Mikkola/Hertz 468; 2. Pond/Gallagher 475: 3. Brookes/Bryant 478: 4. Airikkala?Virtanen 480: 5. Elsmorc/Harrold 484.

SS2 Brandywell 1 – 1. Mikkola/Hertz 371; 2. Pond/Gallagher 377; 3. Nelson/Harryman 387; 4. Taylor/Short 389; 5. Elsmore/Harrold 391.

SS3 Tholt-y-Will – 1. Pond/Gallagher 273; 2. Mikkola/Hertz 277; 3. Nelson/Harryman 287; 4. Clark/Porter 292; Verini/Bernachini 293.

SS4 Staarvey – 1. Mikkola/Hertz 370; =2. Brookes/Bryant & Taylor/Short 373; 4. Nelson/Harryman 374.5; 5. Pond/Gallagher 374.

SS5 South Barrule – 1. Mikkola/Hertz 708; 2. Pond/Gallagher 709, 3. Nelson/Harryman 714: 4. Taylor/Short 717: 5. McRae/Muir 726.

SS6 Black Hill – 1. Pond/Gallagher 230; =2. Brooke:/Bryant & Nelson/Harryman 232; 4. Mikkola/Hertz 233; 5. Elsmore/Harrold 235.

SS7 Creg-Ny-Baa – Cancelled.

SS8 Injebreck 2 – 1. Pond/Gallagher 441; 2. Mikkola/Hertz 445; 3. Taylor/Short 450; 4. Nelson/Harryman 452; 5. Elsmore/Harrold 456.

SS9 Brandywell 2 – 1. Mikkola/Hertz 360; 2. Pond/Gallagher 361; 3. Clark/Porter 365; =4. Taylor/Short & Nelson/Harryman & Elsmore/Harrold 371.

SS10 Braddan – 1. Mikkola/Hertz 152; 2. Pond/Gallagher 153; 3. Nelson/Harryman 157: =4. Brookes/Bryant & Taylor/Short 159.

SS11 South Barrule 1 – 1. Pond/Gallagher 592; 2. Nelson/Harryman 607; 3. Taylor/Short 61O; 4. Elsmore/Harrold 619; =5. Verini/Bernachini & McRae/Muir 622.

SS12 Staarvey – 1, Pond/Gallagher 444: 2. Elsmore/Harrold 447; 3. McRae/Muir 455; 4. Taylor/Short 456: 5. Clark/Porter 459.

SS13 Little London – 1. Elsmore/Harrold 140; =2. McRae/Muir & Corkill/Dale 143: 4. Clark/Porter 144; 5. Taylor/Short 145.

SS14 Cronk – 1. O’Connell/O’Connell 361; 2. Pond/Gallagher 371; 3. McRae/Muir 375; 4. Elsmore/Harrold 376; 5. Brookes/Bryant 377.

SS15 Lhen – Cancelled

SS16 Leodest – 1. Brookes/Bryant 150; 2. Pond/Gallagher 163; =3. Clark/Porter & McRae/Muir 164, =5. Verini/Bernuchini & Taylor/Short 167.

SS17 Glasgoe – 1. Taylor/Short 374; 2. Clark/Porter 377; 3. Pond/Gallagher 378; 4, McRae/Muir 380; =5. Nelson/Harryman & Elsmore/Harrold 381.

SS18 Ballaglass – =1. Clark/Porter & McRae/Muir 202; 3. Culcheth/Syer 204; =4. Pond/Gallagher & Verini/Bernuchini & Taylor/Short 206.

SS19 Glen Roy – =1. Clark/Porter & McRae/Muir 248; 3. Elsmore/Harrold 250; 4. Taylor/Short 252; =5. Brookes/Bryant & Verini/Bernachini 253.

SS20 Little Mill – 1. Nelson/Harryman 568; 2. Brookes/Bryant 569; 3. Pond/Gallagher 577: 4. McRae/Muir 581; 5. Clark/Porter 582.

SS21 Garth – 1. Nelson/Harryman 470; 2. Taylor/Short 471; =3. Brookes/Bryant & Pond/Gallagher 475; 5. McRae/Muir 476.

SS22 South Barrule 2 – 1. Lyons/Smith 417: 2. Nelson/Harryman 422; 3. Brookes/Bryant 425; =4. Pond/Gallagher & Taylor/Short 431.

SS23 Santon – 1. Taylor/Short 222; 2. Brookes/Bryant 223: 3. Pond/Gallagher 224; 4. Nelson/Harryman 225; 5. Elsmore/Harrold 227.

SS24 Brandywell – =1. Elsmore/Harrold & Clark/Porter 361; 3. Brookes/Bryant 365; 4. Nelson/Harryman 367; 5. Taylor/Short 368.

SS25 Injebreck – =1. Nelson/Harryman & Elsmore/Harrold 410; 3. Taylor/Short 412; 4. Pond/Gallagher 413; 5. Brookes/Bryant 415.

SS26 Glen Rushen – 1. Clark/Porter 233; =2. Taylor/Short & Nelson/Harryman 234; 4. Brookes/Bryant 238; 5. Elsmore/Harrold 240.

SS27 Round Table 1 – 1. Nelson/Harryman 415; 2. Pond/Gallagher 416; 3. Elsmore/Harrold 421; 4. Brookes/Bryant 5. Clarrk/Porter 423.

SS28 St. Marks – =1. Brookes/Bryant & Nelson/Harryman 334; =3. Elsmore/Harrold & Clark/Porter 337; =5. Pond/Gallagher & Taylor/Short 338.

SS29 Begoade – Cancelled.

SS30 Glen Roy – 1. Clark/Porter 251; =2. Elsmore/Harrold & Brookes/Bryant 255; 4. Taylor/Short 257; =5. Pond/Gallagher & Verini/Bernahhini 262.

SS31 Tholt-y-Will 1 – 1. Pond/Gallagher 264; 2. Clark/Porter 269; 3. Brookes/Bryant 270: 4. Taylor/Short 271; 5. Elsmore/Harrold 273.

SS32 Eairy – 1. Clark/Porter 134; =2. Nelson/Harryman & Elsmore/Harrold 135; 4. Taylor/Short 136: 5. Brookes/Bryant 137.

SS33 Ronague – 1. Clark/Porter 214; 2. Brookes/Bryant 215: 3. Nelson/Harryman 216 4. Taylor/Short 217: =5 Elsmore/Harrold & Corkill/Dale 219.

SS34 Round Table 2 – 1. Nelson/Harryman 317; 2. Pond/Gallagher 319; =3. Taylor/Short & Clark/Porter 321; =5. Brookes/Bryant & Elsmore/Harrold 323.

SS35 Garey – 1. Clark/Porter 238; 2. Elsmore/Harrold 242; 3. Taylor/Short 243; 4. Brookes/Bryant 245. S. Nelson/Harryman 251.

SS36 Staarvey – 1. Nelson/Harryman 435; 2. Taylor/Short 418; 3. Clark/Porter 439: 4. Brookes/Bryant 441; 5. Pond/Gallagher 443.

SS37 Curraghs – =1. Nelson/Harryman & Taylor/Short 237: 3. Pond/Gallagher 238: 4. Brookes/Bryant 239; 5. Clark/Porter 243.

SS38 Tholt-y-Will – 1. Pond/Gallagher 206: 2. Nelson/Harryman 212; 3. Taylor/Short 213; 4. Clark/Porter 216; 5. Corkill/Dale 217.

SS39 Baldwin – 1. Pond/Gallagher 515; 2. Taylor/Short 519; =3. Brookes/Bryant & Clark/Porter & Elsmore/Harrold 523.